“Labour needs to ensure that the next election is not seen as a referendum on the government,” says Gordon Brown's Operation Fightback leaflet for Labour candidates in the forthcoming election.
Say what? What is any election but a referendum on the previous government's performance?
Unless, of course, you reckon that your dire stewardship of the economy and your disastrous social policies have been rumbled by the electorate, and you need to shift the focus away from your record and onto something else ...
Instead, he will attack the Conservatives, as the party admitted in a leaflet for candidates that voters are attracted to David Cameron’s message of change.
And what will the message be?
" ... candidates should frame the vote as “a big choice about the change we want for Britain between Labour, which is on the side of the mainstream many, and the Tories, whose instincts remain with the privileged few.”
Pissing in the wind. We have had 13 years to make up our minds about Labour, and we don't like what we have seen. If any Labour candidate comes round here (unlikely - we have never seen one in the last 20 years) and tells me that I should be making my choice on the basis of what the Tories are proposing, I will hand them a copy of the following - no, I will read it out to them - before kicking them in the genitals and slamming the door.
Old Holborn calls it a 'cut out and keep' document, and I will have a stack of printed copies waiting by the door just in case:
Ballot Boxes are interfered with
Voting registers go missing
The Police can kill innocent people and get away with it
The state can kill people and get away with it
You can be put in prison for 42 days on pure suspicion
You can be put in prison indefinitely on the word of a politician
The State can torture people
Your children are monitored at School by Political Officers
Their behaviour is logged on a State database for their entire lives
Your innocent fingerprints, iris scans and biometrics are held by the State
You do not have the right to remain silent
You are watched on 4 million CCTV cameras
You may not photograph the Police
The media is controlled by the State
You do not have the right to protest peacefully
Curfews exist for entire communities
Your travel movements are logged and monitored
Who you vote for is logged and monitored
Your shopping habits are studied and logged by the State
Your emails and telephone conversations are recorded by the State
Your passport can be withdrawn at the whim of the State
Government agencies can use lie detector tests on you.
- £22,500 of debt for every child born in Britain
- 111 tax rises from a government that promised no tax rises at all
- The longest national tax code in the world
- 100,000 million pounds drained from British pension funds
- Gun crime up 57%
- Violent crime up 70%
- The highest proportion of children living in workless households anywhere in Europe
- The number of pensioners living in poverty up by 100,000
- The lowest level of social mobility in the developed world
- The only G7 country with no growth this year
- One in six young people neither earning nor learning
- 5 million people on out-of-work benefits
- Missing the target of halving child poverty...
- Child poverty rising in each of the last three years instead
- Cancer survival rates among the worst in Europe
- Hospital-acquired infections killing nearly three times as many people as are killed on the roads
- Falling from 4th to 13th in the world competitiveness league
- Falling from 8th to 24th in the world education rankings in maths
- Falling from 7th to 17th in the rankings in literacy
- The police spending more time on paperwork than on the beat
- Fatal stabbings at an all-time high
- Prisoners released without serving their sentences
- Foreign prisoners released and never deported
- 7 million people without an NHS dentist
- Small business taxes going up
- Business taxes raised from among the lowest to among the highest in Europe
- Tax rises for working people set for after the election
- The 10p tax rate abolished
- The ludicrous promise to have ended boom and bust
- Our gold reserves sold for a quarter of their worth
- Our armed forces overstretched and under-supplied
- Profitable post offices closed against their will
- One of the highest rates of family breakdown in Europe
- The ‘Golden Rule’ on borrowing abandoned because it didn’t fit
- Police inspectors in 10 Downing Street
- Dossiers that were dodgy
- Mandelson resigning the first time
- Mandelson resigning the second time
- Mandelson coming back for a third time
- Bad news buried
- Personal details lost
- An election bottled
- A referendum denied.
New Labour. Stamping on the faces of the many, not just the few. Forever.
He also notes:
PS “A future fair for all” is an anagram of “Our fearful fat liar”
Mind you, I have no confidence that the Tories are going to be much better - BUT THEY CANNOT BE WORSE THAN THIS SHOWER. NO-ONE COULD.