More NuLabour playing with words (as in 'never say spending, say investment').
Andy Burnham on the Government's proposal to levy a 10% charge on all estates below the Inheritance Tax threshold:
“This is not a flat fee and would enable people to protect 90 per cent of their homes and savings.”
Hows' that? Before a penny has been taken, we are being told that taking 10% out of the estate enables people (good word, 'enabling', suggests power and autonomy) to protect most of what they already have anyway. Protect? A raid of 10% is cunningly presented as a chance to keep 90%. I'll remember that next time I rob a Post Office:
"Look, give me £50,000 and I will enable you to protect the other £50,000 you have in your safe."
See how a cash grab is wrapped up in cosy, feel-good words like 'protect'? It's amost as if we should be grateful.
One thing to remember: before this idea was mooted, you could 'protect' 100% of your estate, simply by doing nothing. It was your property, remember?