If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Thursday 29 April 2010

Final Leaders' Debate

Best of the lot.

Cameron: sincere, well-prepared and starting to make a fight of it. At last, talking about 13 years of failure, and picked Brown up on the 'taking 6m out of the economy' error. When he goes on the attack and takes that concerned frown off his face, he's good. 8/10

Clegg: newness starting to wear off. All the stuff about the 'two old parties' is sounding repetitive. Not a lot new to say, and looking far less assured than in No. 1. And he said his party would not have an amnesty for illegal immigrants. In the first debate, that's exactly what he did say. 6/10

Brown: unrelentingly negative about the other two. Listing Labour 'achievements' like a Gatling gun, in between slagging off everyone else. More about instilling fear of change than pride in his own record. And the shameful bastard repeated the cancer lie from the earlier party broadcast. 2/10

Clear victory for Cameron, and Brown went (if that were possible) even further down in my estimation. What a nasty mendacious bully the man is.

(And who allowed that make-up? Grey face and orange ears - I watched in fascinated horror. The other two looked normal, so it wasn't the lighting. And that smile at the end - "like the silver plate on a coffin".)

2 comments:

  1. Is it just me, or is Nick Clegg actually a rather tiresome individual? Smugly trying to put himself above the Brown-Cameron bickering whilst at the same time cconstantly taking snide digs at both of them. Oh, and that insistence on using everyone's first name every time he speaks - pure PR-Voter-Connection 101 stuff. The more I see of him and the recently-sainted Vince, the more it seems that the whole LibDem thing is just a Gang Of Two - so is that only half as good as the frankly not very good original Gang Of Four?

    Brown was, as ever, dreadful. Humorously looking as if he'd been dug up specifically for the occasion, and sounding like it, too. Honestly, how can any party could stomach having that as their primary representative on earth? I feel confident now that the polls of a few weeks back, horrifyingly showing the possibility of Labour somehow retaining power, are safely consigned to history.

    Cameron, to give him his credit, has improved steadily with each debate, which puts him in a minority of one. Not that I'm choosing to vote on the leadership charisma issue, but on the realpolitik front he seems the only one not crippled by having an absolutely batshit-crazy policy department writing his manifesto. There are patently still a few weirdos scuffing around in that department, but on the whole it's the only sensible game in town.

    Never done it before, but I'll be going Blue on Thursday. Or at least my proxy will - I'm off to sunny Italy by bike instead.

    And if, somehow, a NuLabour miracle occurs, I may well not be coming back...

    PS; Congrats on the adult blog rating, Rich. Is it OK to say "fuck" now - I didn't want to offend your mum before?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was impressed by Clegg in the first debate - I suppose because it was the first time anyone saw him in the context of leadership, and he did well. But he didn't move on from that, and I think that the novelty was the substance. He's certainly a great worker of the audience, but the last debate showed that the LD policies are pretty inconsistent and not really serious.

    As to Brown, I refer you to yesterday's Guardian editorial, which says it all for me. I'll be doing a separate post on my voting intention, but I don't think it will be a surprise to anyone who reads this regularly.

    And you say 'fuck' all you like, me old fella. It's hard to offend my Mum. In fact, it's been impossible to offend her for about 8 years now.

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...