If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Saturday 24 April 2010

They don't get it

Do they? Today, David Miliband is quoted as saying to voters: "Look, you've punished us enough about Iraq."

Have they been punished at all? I don't think so. They seem to have got away with the biggest British foreign policy disaster for 50 years scot-free, as far as I can see. Suez ruined Anthony Eden, but Blair seems to have escaped with nothing more than a fortune, a career in public speaking and an orange sun-tan. When Miliband says "You've punished us enough about Iraq", what he means is "You have criticised us over Iraq for a long time, and now we're bored with you." I'm sure they would love to 'draw a line under' Iraq and 'move on' (with 'lessons learned', naturally), but I doubt if a significant proportion of the British people will let them.

Strike that. There will be a change of government, and the Iraq débacle will slip from the public memory. All will be forgotten. I just think that the poor sods who suffered under years of oppression under Saddam deserved better, that's all.

Bristol Dave says it all far more strongly, and with a photograph that illustrates why he feels as he does. I can't look.



Edit: I've rewritten this post, as I wasn't happy with how it turned out first time. OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...