If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Monday 31 May 2010

Bloody holidaymakers!

So I get up late and sit down with my breakfast to catch up on the world and its doings, and what do I find? The internet is running slower than cold treacle uphill. Pages are timing out and even small audio files aren't playing, never mind images or video.

We live approximately 7km from our BT exchange, at the supposed limit of broadband capability. It's a slow connection compared to some, but it does me OK. But the limited bandwidth is shared with quite a few other households upstream of us - we are the end of the line, the ne plus ultra of connectivity. And it's Bank Holiday Sodding Monday, which means everyone is sitting at their computers when they should be doing something useful [1], and clogging up my internet access.

Bastards. At least it isn't raining.

[1] Yes, irony.

2 comments:

  1. I used to "catch up on the world" religiously 'till I decided the self-poisoning wasn't doing me (or the world) any good whatsoever. Now, through greater self knowledge, I willfully ignore it and suspect in some small way the world is better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An addict never likes to hear that his addiction is 'self-poisoning', but you may be right.

    What's the internet equivalent of methadone? Watching Have I Got News For You? A similar kick, but controllable?

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...