If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Tuesday 25 May 2010

The Convergence of the Twain *

OK, OK, I've been listening. Thanks to everyone for your comments, either on the blog or privately. Two points of view have been prominent:
  • I like the mixture of all the stuff in one blog and preferred it before you split it in two
  • I skip the stuff I'm not interested in, and so I'm not really bothered either way.
No-one preferred the idea of two separate blogs. I am quite pleased by this: firstly because it appeals to my love of serendipity - people actually like what Louis McNeice called "the drunkenness of things being various", and so do I - and secondly because keeping two blogs going and switching between them was getting tedious.

So I have now merged the two blogs back into one. All content will be here, under Going Fast, Getting Nowhere, and apart from a signpost in Soul Mover I won't be posting there any more.

Thank you for your kind comments and patience.

* A poem by Thomas Hardy, in case you missed the reference, about the sinking of the Titanic. I think I first read the poem at about the age of 13, and it was the first poem that I 'got', and that I felt was worth the effort of understanding.

4 comments:

  1. do you have any notes on "the convergence of the Twain"??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't, but a Google search will turn up tons of material, including analyses of the poem - some good, some bad. Anything particular you wanted to know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, that poem was the first that ever effected me in such a way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how clear some memories can be. It was the first time I had encountered the word 'opulence', and I had to have it explained to me. And it sparked a life-long creepy fascination with shipwrecks and exploring the deep.

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...