If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Tuesday 11 May 2010

John Reid spells it out

I've always had a sneaking regard for John Reid. I didn't agree with him on everything, far from it, but I always felt he acted with a sense of decency and honour. This is him talking about the possibility of a Lib-Lab coalition, and I can't disagree with a word of it. (See my previous post on the 'progressive consensus'.)

Interesting how David Steel (for whom I have always had regard) tried to argue that, because more voters voted for Labour and Liberals combined, this somehow represents a demand for proportional representation without further discussion. I can't see how that works, frankly.

Having listened to Reid, I'm beginning to think that a Lib-Lab coalition would be a good thing for the country, long-term. Both parties would be destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...