If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Sunday 11 July 2010

Right Result

I think the Dutch are some of the nicest people I have met, and I was supporting (in the rather notional way that football non-fans 'support' anything) the Netherlands tonight. But if they had won it would have been a hollow victory. I don't mind physical play - I watch Rugby, after all - but football is supposed to be about skill, not chopping people's feet off. The right team won.

I read a suggestion, I think in The Times letters page a few years ago, that bears repeating. If a game goes to extra time, any player having a yellow card in normal time would be taken off the field and extra time played only with players who had not received a card. That would go for any substitutions of yellow-carded players as well, obviously. By my guess (remember I am not an expert and was drinking throughout the game) that would have meant 30 minutes of extra time with teams of 6 men for the Netherlands and 8 for Spain. That would have been interesting.

Right, that's all I have got to say about football.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...