If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Saturday 23 October 2010

Night Shots

I haven't done much night-time photography recently - in fact, not since I last used a film camera to capture Venice after dark. Tonight, there was a fantastic scene out of the living room window, of a full moon in a clear sky with plenty of clouds around for texture. I got out the DSLR and tripod and spent half an hour in the garden taking shots of the sky. Here's one:



The exposure was 20 sec at f9, and the clouds were moving quite fast, which created a flowing and fuzzy effect against the sharp and static trees. I thought it was quite atmospheric.

When I got back to the house, the bike was in complete darkness, so I thought I would try something I have never done before - light painting. I set up the camera on a long exposure (I let Mr Nikon work out how long - about 30 sec at a guess) and then waved a torch over the bike fairly randomly until the camera had captured enough light to call it a day. It's no work of art, but at least I have proved that the technique works. It really was dark - you could hardly see the bike at all. There are possibilities here. I might try some more of this on Bonfire Night.



The original images were about 3MB, and I wouldn't win any friends for posting them here, so regard these as thumbnails.

2 comments:

  1. A Hinkley Bonnie, I have to say I have never ridden one, bit bland by all accounts, but then who am I to critisise? my everyday bike is a Mk1 850 TDM Yamaha, my others are a bit more eclectic, but in the main, much more satisfying to ride. I like the blog, good to read a two wheeled opinion of life the universe etc., keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything but bland, in my opinion. Previous bike was a 1300 Honda Pan - now that was bland. Stonkingly capable but lacking any real character. The Bonnie isn't a fast bike by any means, but what it does, it does well and makes you smile. If you want to rip up the highways at 160 with your knee down then it's probably not the bike for you, but as a real-world bike it's hard to beat. If you haven't tried one, then you should. One word, though - the standard silencers are whisper-quiet and don't suit the bike at all. A pair of open pipes are essential. Gutting the airbox and adding big jets completes the transformation from Eurobland to fun bike.

    Thanks for your kind words about the blog. It's nice to hear from readers.

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...