If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Thursday 18 November 2010

Blitzed

I've just done a string of 12-hour night shifts, and my body clock has gone haywire. I got up at 10 am yesterday, hoping to be tired enough to sleep last night, as I had a day shift starting at 6 this morning.

I went to bed at 11 pm and set the alarm for 5 am. I lay awake until 2 am, then got up for a cup of tea. Back to bed at 3 am, and lay until the alarm went. I have now been awake for 30 hours. That's the first time I have spent a night with absolutely no sleep at all since I was a student. These things were normal then.

I expected to be completely useless today (well, more than usual) but in fact I have got a second wind and I feel fine, if a little disconnected from reality. I hope I can sleep tonight, as I have another day shift tomorrow, followed by ... nights again. Bugger.

If there's been a lack of quality blogposts recently, this is why.

7 comments:

  1. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cup of tea is not a good idea. A glass of milk is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get a Smartfone & Blog-on-the-Bog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're having trouble sleeping, try telling yourself that story ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, as a student, one could have access to considerable quantities of pharmaceuticals - some of which would help compensate for lack of sleep...

    Bet you're not having too much difficulty sleeping tonight, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry if that was a bit of a dull post! I was totally spaced out. I got to bed by 10 pm in the end, a full 36 hours awake. Yup, I did sleep rather well last night.

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...