If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Saturday 25 December 2010

Newgale, Christmas Day

Off to Newgale beach with the dogs for the traditional Christmas Day stroll, and a fabulous day it was - bright sunshine, bitterly cold, empty. I was the first person there.



There was a time, when RAF Search and Rescue was based at Brawdy, when the yellow SAR helicopter would fly along the beach every Christmas morning, with Santa sitting in the winchman's position waving at the walkers. Not any more, as Santa has been relocated to Chivenor in Devon.

Icicles within ten metres of the sea.



At the far end, I realised I wasn't alone. A middle-aged couple were standing quietly, facing a niche in the rocks. They were so still I thought they were taking a photograph. Then they moved on, and where they were standing was this:



Peace to them, and to you.

8 comments:

  1. Those pictures look really tranquil.
    A Merry Chrismas to you and yours mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You live in a beautiful part of the world Richard. A Very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top-notch photojournalism. Merry Christmas and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind comments, all. Gymi, yes I do, and I am grateful for it every day. WOAR, you are too kind. Merry Christmas (what's left of it) to all of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics Richard. I worked on Wessex helicopters many moons ago and loved Brawdy and the training base at Shawbury near Shrewsbury. The local women at Brawdy were scary ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Don. Thanks for reminding me about the Wessex - I had forgotten the name. When you say the local women at Brawdy were scary, remember that I married one from close by. Yes, they can be, although nothing could be quite as scary as the women of Llangwm. Put half a dozen of them in front of the All Blacks during the haka, and the Kiwis wouldn't be seen for dust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Richard..
    Ha ha . The women weren't all scary ;)
    You will have Prince Wiliam flying around now. A dashing Prince winching folk to safety.
    I think they moved the SAR to Valley when Brawdy closed. Was it the little Hunter bombers at Valley in the 70's ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were told our nearest SAR was to be Chivenor. what happened to the actual people and kit I don't know. I lived near RAF Valley in the early 70s and I believe they were flying Hunters. I was friendly with a Pilot Officer there and, curiously, he used to boast of being able to hop in a plane and visit Chivenor for a Devon Cream Tea.

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...