If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Wednesday 15 December 2010

You Go, Girl ...

From The Filthy Engineer, via Mummylonglegs:

Overheard at a Tube station -

There were protesters on the concourse handing out pamphlets on the evils of Britain .
I politely declined to take one. An elderly woman behind me was getting off the escalator and a young (20-ish) female protester offered her a pamphlet, which she politely declined.

The young protester put her hand on the woman's shoulder as a gesture of friendship and in a very soft voice said, 'Madam, don't you care about the children of Iraq ?'

The elderly woman looked up at her and said, 'My dear, my father died in France during World War II, I lost my husband in Korea and my grandson in Afghanistan . All three died so you could have the right to stand here and bad mouth our country. If you touch me again, I'll stick this umbrella up your arse and open it.'

4 comments:

  1. A commenter over there decries it as an urban myth.

    Well, dammit, if it isn't true, it DESERVES to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had and have my reservations about its authenticity - it's just too good to be true. But agreed, if it isn't true, it damn well ought to be.

    A poetic truth, rather than a literal truth, if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happens everywhere apparently....

    http://thefunniesetc.wordpress.com/2008/09/05/god-bless-america/

    Of course Richard want old ladies to talk like Bruce Willis. Pfft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoulda snoped it :)

    In thought it was too good to be true. Thank you for putting us right.

    I still like the sentiments.

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...