If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Saturday 11 June 2011

Genius

Apologies for the lack of posting over the last few days. There have been many outrageous things in the news, and I have ridden the bikes quite a bit, but somehow nothing has fired me up to make me want to post anything. Meh. I've been reading a lot (both proper books and stuff on the webs) and perhaps I have just been a while in reception rather than production mode.

However, I know some readers of this blog are into ingenious technological solutions, and I just had to post this one.

Problem: a lot of bikes today are made without centre stands, so it is impossible to get the back wheel off the ground to do essential stuff like chain lubrication or tyre changing without spending lots of extra dosh on the appropriate kit. There is a simple solution, involving devices to raise the frame on the opposite side to the side stand, but these can be quite expensive. Then I saw this video, made by a member (greyplague) of the Triumph Rat forum that I belong to. It cost him next to nothing, apart from about an hour of his time and a bit of ingenuity.

I like this, and I am going to make one - when the bits come along on the flotsam-stream of life.


5 comments:

  1. If I had one, I wouldn't leave home without it. Better make one, then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. " Meh. I've been reading a lot (both proper books and stuff on the webs) and perhaps I have just been a while in reception rather than production mode."

    That's all to the good; too many people these days are only switched to 'broadcast', never 'receive'... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps greyplague should have patented it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turnbuckles....that's what I think they're called.

    I wondered about locking the front brake well before he mentioned it in the clip! I would also look for somewhere other than adjacent to the battery. Sods law dictates that it will come loose at the same time as the positive terminal cover.....

    Other wise a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...