If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Friday 21 October 2011

Hiatus

When I get home from work, I will be catching a few hours' sleep and then I will be on the road and out of radio contact for the rest of the weekend. I will be spending time with my wonderful daughters, and watching one of them get awarded her PhD, which will make me unspeakably proud.

I'll be back just in time to see that nice Mr Cameron outrageously impose a three-line whip on his party to ensure that the people of the UK don't get a chance to express an opinion on the current and future governance of their country, which wasn't going to be binding on him anyway, but which might have caused him some embarrassment at the next Brussels drinks party with his elite chums.

My guess: motion will be defeated, and another petition will be up and running before the end of the week. Satyagraha: keep coming back with persistence and dignity, and stay in their faces.

Play nicely.

4 comments:

  1. "... and watching one of them get awarded her PhD, which will make me unspeakably proud."

    What a feeling! Hope it's a good weekend for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julia. It will be a very good moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's strange. I never expected to feel skin splitting pride in my children's achievements after 'the degree'. But I do - and in many ways it feels more valid and nicer than the self-smugness that comes from my (modest) high spots. Very well done Dr Nowhere. And I hope that all the hard work proves to be the door opener to future happiness that we (parents) wish it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on raising a brainbox. Whereas offspring frequently think they know better than Mum 'n Dad, maybe now she'll have a certificate to prove it.

    "Satyagraha", I prefer "Illegitimi non carborundum"

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...